Reason 14: Mountain Bike Fiction

So there is this great magazine that everybody believes, though many now question it. Some say the biggest advertisers get the most coverage (sorry Specialized – you’re one of the biggest). Now I actually think Richard Cunningham and Jimmy Mac are fantastic journalists and if it were'nt for them Mountain Biking would not be where it is today. However, the consumer is becoming less dependent on print journalism and is turning towards social networking for the type of information which guides purchasing decisions. If you’re looking for a component, we’re more influenced by what people are saying on the forums than on the formal sites. The customer is king, but, the customer also wants to feel part of the product they’re buying into. Whether it’s at McDonalds, Ford or Specialized whole cultures are being built around brands through social networking. So that’s why, I don’t listen to what Mountain Bike Action say about Specialized - I find out for myself. Even though Specialzied is one of the biggest advertizers, I don't always agree with some of the things that MBA has said in some of their tests. I listen to what my fellow riders are saying and I find out for myself. I have ridden Specialized as a brand since 2003. I have never had a problem which has not been of my own making. That view is worth more than any advert!

No comments:

Post a Comment