Reason 8: Bike to Work Day

I have this dream and have voiced it on some of the cycling forums (see sites such as The Hub). We really need to support the National Bike to Work Day. The South African Department of Transport is supposed to be handing out 500,000 bicycles during 2009/10.
On my route there are some guys riding really well worn hypermarket bikes. One day I gave this guy a tube. His old tube was red throughout - you could hardly see black rubber - there were so many patches. I see his running to work now, not sure, but I think his bike has finally given in! The Trail crew needs to challenge government and industry. On bike to work day, we should be placing ourselves along major cycling routes and hand out product, pamplets and bikes to people who really need it, or simply lube chains! I would just love to get the Specialized Trail Crew involved in this type of initiative!

No comments:

Post a Comment