REASON 44: THE HOGSBACK TRAIL

The Hogsback Trail was one of the trails initiated while I was with the Provincial Environment Department. As pointed out by Jacques Marais at his South African Mountain Biking routes website, "this was once the Holy trail of South African MTB, but a lack of maintenance has seen many of the attractions of the trail fade over the last few years"..
This trail was established through the efforts of myself and Mpumi Fundam of the Amathole District Municipality (amongst others). It was brilliant, but, it needs to be revamped and maintained. I have not seen it or ridden it since I moved back to Port Elizabeth about 5 years ago. Being on the Stumpjumper Trail Crew means that I can turn my attention back to this type of work. The Stumpjumper trail crew needs to be a galvanizing force, to bring riders, community and government resources together. We need to build publically accessible trails which are marked, graded and have appropriate trail information.

No comments:

Post a Comment